Domestic abuse is a serious matter, and a false accusation can be severely damaging to your reputation and to the criminal justice system as a whole. False accusations create an environment in which the integrity of victims of actual domestic abuse is called into question. False accusations of domestic abuse are more common than most people think. Jealousy, anger, and revenge can drive people to do unspeakable things. A Boston criminal defense attorney can help you protect your rights, reputation, and freedom if you have been falsely accused of domestic abuse.
- Don’t meet with your accuser alone. If you have to come into contact with your accuser, make sure that you have a witness with you, and meet in a public place. For example, if you have to pick up personal belongings, ask your partner or ex-partner to meet you in a grocery store parking lot with the items, and have someone with you during the exchange. Without a witness and a public location, the meeting could turn into another false allegation.
- Seek legal counsel immediately. An experienced attorney is essential to a favorable outcome in this type of situation. A lawyer will understand the complexity of your situation and will position you for the best possible outcome. He or she will ensure that you don’t say or do the wrong thing, and that you fully understand your rights and options. The right attorney will also provide moral support during what may be an emotional process.
- Avoid behaviors that may be used against you in court. Your integrity and character will be assessed in court. As such, you want to present yourself in the best light possible. To achieve this goal, it is crucial to avoid certain actions, such as engaging in arguments with your accuser, punching holes in walls, or making violent or threatening jokes. Any of these actions can make you look unstable, further substantiating your accuser’s case.
- Remain calm and focused. False accusations of domestic abuse can be extremely stressful. In a stressful situation, it is easy to make poor decisions, but even one bad decision can destroy your case. This is another reason why a good lawyer is so important; a compassionate, experienced MA defense lawyer can guide you through the process so that you avoid making destructive choices. It’s also important to look after your physical and emotional health during such a stressful process. Maintain a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, and surround yourself with supportive people.
Consequences of Domestic Abuse Allegations
Beyond damage to your reputation, false allegations can create a tidal wave of other life-altering consequences, including:
- Custody issues
- Mediation for family disputes may be disallowed
- The issuance of a restraining order
- Exclusion from the family residence
- Parenting issues
- The need to complete anger management or treatment programs
- Restriction of certain civil liberties
Further, if you are convicted of any type of domestic violence, you will likely receive time behind bars, hefty fines, and a criminal record. If you have been falsely accused of domestic abuse, don’t act out of anger, and don’t make the mistake of hiring an inexperienced attorney.
Altman & Altman, LLP – Top Criminal Defense Law Firm in Boston
If you have been charged with any type of crime, the skilled legal team at Altman & Altman, LLP can help. We have been protecting the rights of individuals charged with criminal offenses for more than 50 years. Our experienced, knowledgeable attorneys have an impressive track record of getting clients’ charges reduced, or dismissed altogether. We will analyze the details of your case to determine the best legal strategy before moving forward. If you are facing charges for an offense you didn’t commit, we can